Monday, 14 December 2009

FC09 2.8 Social Networking Platforms

I have just set up my page in the Online Facilitators network in Grou.ps. There does not seem to be a lot happening there. I did like the look of the Ning groups that I had visited. There seemed to be some interesting things happening.

My sister and other relatives are very keen on Facebook. She has been contacting old school friends from all over the world and jetting off to catch up. I am a bit hopeless. I think “I will get to that later” and never get around to replying.

My nephew uses Bebo, mostly to communicate with friends. He did hook up with a boy from school that he didn't know that well who started making nuisance phone calls every hour and hanging up when the phone was answered. My sister had to give my nephew the talk about handing out phone numbers.

If I was a teenager I would probably use Bebo too, however my friendships these days don’t require hourly contact ;). I am lucky if I get to see them once a month!

Facilitation on these platforms would depend on who was using them (teenagers or older) and what they were being used for (pleasure, education, business). I can imagine using Facebook to organize a family or school reunion, Bebo to organize a dance party, Ning to organize a professional event.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comment about your nephew and his stalker Bebo friend :) Emphasises the issues of security etc. What were your views on Herve's comments about social networking sites?

    ReplyDelete